Wednesday, June 22, 2011

1st fish of the trip courtsey of Brad Bohen @ Musky Country Outfitters

Decade [dek-eyd]
noun
1.) a period of ten years

The old cliche of "time flies" is an understatement, it is hard to believe that I have been taking beatings from Musky for that long but I have to say every time I hit the water I am still as enthusiastic as day one. With my tenth season of pursuing the gnarly Esox known as Musky upon me I began to think of ways that I could commemorate this important event in my life. After having a long wet winter and spring to dream and fuel the ambitions for the upcoming season I have set 3 goals to accomplish. One of those goals is to land all three subspecies of Musky (the
Ohio, my home subsp., the Northern, and the Great Lakes). After that the mission was to convince my amazing wife, Lia, that we needed to take a trip to northern Wisconsin (for the northern sub.) which turned out surprisingly easy (thanks in part to the Wild on the Fly episode featuring the area, she is a sucker for biscuits & gravy). Next thing I know we were Wisco bound.

To say the trip was amazing would be an understatement. The Musky Country Group: Brad, Brian, Willhelm (I probably did not spell it right), and Eric were all extremely helpful, whether it was some where to eat or turning us on to some marvelous Brookie fishing in the area.

A solid 40" fish, icing on the cake
Billy's 1st fish of the trip and his 3rd musky ever
Lia's 1st musky ever! This was the highlight of the trip for me, she has had some bitter experiences with musky in the past and for it to finally all come together and have this happen, well it was epic. Although she likely would not tell you she missed 7 the day before in an hour and a half period (and one was a solid mid 40's). I used to tell her that we could not get married until she caught a muskie, well as of June 15th we are officially married (even if it is a year and a half after the ceremony).
The fly that closed the deal for Lia's fish.

So where do you go after such an amazing trip? Well 35 fish to boat (9 down currently), a Great Lakes fish, and a Fifty. It is going to be a hell of a season.

7 comments:

  1. Great blog! What are your tackle recommendations?

    How about the pike saber? http://www.pikeflyrod.com/

    They would probably enjoy trading experiences

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had the opportunity to fish a Pike Saber, I am partial to Sage's Xi3 & TCX series rods in 9-10wts..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty big for an American Musky
    River snakes take the fly as well.
    http://www.flyfishireland.ie/viewalbum.asp?id=24

    Been enjoying reading about Musky on the Fly:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/sports/24muskies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muskie eats chicken!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSqtbu_24M&feature=g-vrec

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the next ten years, we will all be using rods made from carrots!

    Tempus fugit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading your blog. Looks like some super fish you've brought to the boat. It's the most addictive type of fly-fishing I have ever expereinced.

    ReplyDelete